So this has been spread out over a few days, but I'm happy to report having watched the first eight episodes of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. And I do intend to watch more, if not all of them at once. - Yes, I'm enjoying it. Plenty of eye candy, opportunities to play spot-the-Melbourne-landmark, and a rather sweet sidekick/sidekick romance.
Must admit to having a fit of fanostalgia at the same time as the urge to try something new. The past week has also included a few episodes of Star Trek TNG (plucked at random from seasons 4-6), rewatched for the first time in years. So "Ship in a Bottle" (holodeck!Moriarty, Sherlock!Data) collided with Miss Fisher in my head, prompting a few speculations about Phryne/Data... Ever such a replay of that thing with Tasha Yar.
Then I went and tried reading some QI RPF. Enjoyed Atlas (magical realism, slash) by marginaliana and Actively Beneficial for Dental Health (and reduces the incidence of ear infections) (Jeeves and Wooster crossover, gen) by brutti_ma_buoni.
Day 11: Post a rec for fannish and/or creative resources. Leave a comment in this post saying you did it.
Permit me to wave at a couple of resourceful people. *waves*
nocowardsoul, who's somewhat fannish about Louisa May Alcott and has a masterlist of fic for Little Women, Eight Cousins, and An Old-Fashioned Girl.
espresso_addict, maintaining the Equilibrium with earthsea_fic and the Earthsea Fanfiction Masterlist.
And now for a little stroll through Fanfiction.net...
Ah, ff.net! How I love/hate thee. It's been a long and weird 13 years. o.O
Joined Jan 3, 2002, id: 148660, Profile Updated: Jan 13
Author has written 17 stories for Harry Potter, Earthsea Trilogy, Little Women, Mansfield Park, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Vanity Fair.
So whenever I'm overcome by the impression that ff.net is full of 13-year-olds, I should remind myself that some were still in the womb when I started posting there.
Why do I still frequent ff.net?
Because it's really huge, offering endless scope for serendipity. Every so often, I still get the urge to wander through it randomly and see what I stumble across... yes, a lot of it's crap, but sometimes there are gems. And that's fun. (It's also how Summary Executions came to be. And many Random Things of the Day.)
Nowhere near as user-friendly as AO3, but workarounds do exist - like FanFictionDownloader, to grab stories in one's preferred format.
Ff.net people are numerous and diverse. Some have no other fandom contact, and prefer things that way. Some hang out in other fan-spaces, far removed from my usual haunts of DW/LJ/AO3. I'd probably never see their work if I didn't wander around ff.net occasionally. And some of them I'm really happy to avoid meeting directly, but I still like to know what's out there, at least.
It's huge, it's still growing (HP fics at 700,000+ and counting), but it's actually less chaotic than it was a decade ago, IMHO. Maybe because it's had time to develop a culture of its own, with plenty of people who have been around there for years. So I figure that if I can remember the kerfuffle when ff.net banned NC-17 stories in late 2002, and the weirdness of having all those symbols banned from titles and summaries for several years (like hyphens, and the / slash, most unhelpfully for shippers)... I'm entitled to keep enjoying the place now it's less batshit. (Forward slashes are OK again. Thanks, ff.net.)
My Favorites list! ♥ Like a much-treasured personal memory lane, wayback machine, whatever. Currently hovering around 230 stories, and scrolling down the list is the closest thing to time-travel. - All welcome to browse. :)
Snape the Knife's Sorting Song by Textualsphinx
A sinister little number to the tune of Mac the Knife that had half the firsties sneaking back to the boats.
Rated: K - Parody/Poetry - Chapters: 1 - Words: 524 - Reviews: 63 - Published: Nov 18, 2002 - Severus S.
Severus Snape and the SexEd Snafu by Grindylowe
If you're going to read this, for the love of God do it safely.
Rated: T - Humor/Parody - Chapters: 1 - Words: 1,457 - Reviews: 270 - Published: Oct 31, 2001 - Severus S. - Complete
And a fic-fragment that won my heart as soon as I saw it. Seems unlikely to grow into a full story, ever, but I'm still so glad this genius bunny got written down and posted.
Three Wizards by poufellyanah
Young Albus Dumbledore, in desperate need of a proper friend, devises a spell to bring powerful wizards to him - only, he just might have been a tad overzealous. Result: the temporal displacement of Harry Potter and Tom Riddle to the year 1912.
Rated: T - Chapters: 2 - Words: 15,501 - Reviews: 189 - Updated: Feb 24, 2010 - Published: Oct 24, 2009 - Albus D., Harry P.
Favorites list also has quite a lot of Snape, along with stories focusing on Harry's interaction with the Dark Lord (in whatever form). Time travel, do-over fics, AUs. Gen. Ships including LV/HP, SS/HP, SS/HG, TR/HG, HP/DM, LM/GW, HP/HG... And a growing collection of non-HP stories.
I should do a separate post about lovely novel-length stories found at ff.net. There are many.
Or a post about creative hexes I'd like to cast on the next ff.netter who turns out to have the punctuation skills of a drunken lemur.
*handwave/facepalm/headdesk/squee in ff.net's general direction*
Wonder if I'll still be browsing there in another 13 years? Hmm...
Meanwhile, have some free bonus summaries. I've never entirely stopped collecting. :D
~ ~ ~
- Not your normal Harry/Voldemort-father/son story.
- Lucius Malfoy's life is changed forever when he reflects on his life. Warnings:- Cigarette Use
- Beneath the Minister was an ordinary man after all.
- Bonding Rings are a pair of rings that when touched by two continuous people, will bond them magically, and they will marry.
- WARNING - Corporeal punishment!
- Etty Potter is Harry's Identical twin sister so what happens when they first meet? Takes place in their first year at hogwarts. I'm thinking of it becoming a series.
- This is a short poem of my overly unstable emotion and imagination or rather "emogination". I know, no such word exists but now that i think of it. It will symbolize my personality as a writer that emogination is the soul of my written mind.
- Harem, Awesome power Harry. 850,000 words. 142 smut scenes.
- This is a serious sequel to the series. After Hogwarts, Harry, Ron and Hermione stumble upon a naturally occurring pensive. A stag comes from the shadows and cries, then, as usual, something magical happens.
- Harry Potter is living on his own and with his soul mate Hermione Granger. And they are both expecting triplets. Now his godfather is free and Voldemort is dead. But he has to watch out for the weaselys who want harry kids dead and Hermione and his soul bound to be broken.
- This is that story that gets updated like once a year by an author who never reads reviews and can't be bothered to reread chapters before posting them. Read at your own peril.
- Watch what happens when the Savior of the Wizarding World turns on the very people he's supposed to save.
Crossposted from McTabby@DW.